Monday 14 July 2008

MCP61 sound on PCLinuxOS 2007

On initial installation, the sound doesn't work and gives a thumping great error message box (/dev/dsp cannot be opened). I know the sound works with Linux because it worked in Mandriva One. It seems to be using the same sound driver:-

snd_hda_intel

and much Googling made it obvious that a lot of other people were having the same problem. I'll put you out of your misery - you need to load a newer kernel than the one provided with PCLinuxOS 2007. Don't panic, it can all be done painlessly in Synaptic. Just search for the word kernel and choose a later kernel (one ending in 15 worked for me) and leave the other one loaded. The GRUB menu will allow you to choose the new kernel (or the old one if you have problems) and you should have sound. If all is well then uninstall the older kernel again with Synaptic. I was impressed how well it worked. Ok so now I have sound. The kernel change didn't sort out my lack of 3d support on the display so more research needed...

No comments: