Tuesday 8 July 2008

Mandriva One Spring 2008.1

I have recently changed to a slightly newer and more sprightly PC and found that PCLinuxOS didn't run very well on it (problems with sound and video) so I decided to download and run Mandriva One which can be downloaded as a single ISO for burning onto a standard CDROM. It found all my hardware including ZIP drive, card reader and sound and video worked fine. However, it lacked a driver for my Voyager 105 ADSL modem I use to logon to AOL Broadband. I downloaded the eciadsl driver from here for Mandriva:-

eciadsl-usermode-0.11-0.1.102mdk.i586.rpm

but it wouldn't install. Mandriva also requires the following files:-

tcl-8.5.1-2mdv2008.1.i586.rpm
tk-8.5.1-1mdv2008.1.i586.rpm
libtk8.5-8.5.1-1mdv2008.1.i586.rpm

Finally, you also need the sync files from the eciadsl website:-

eciadsl-synch_bin.tar.tar

However, I still couldn't get it work as I needed to be able to login as root to make changes which Mandriva won't allow me to do so I gave up and went back to PCLinuxOS and tried to rectify the problems it was giving me on my new machine - more on that another time.

No comments: